[linux-dvb] Re: Problem with compiling in

Hi,

Am 12/01/04 06:15, Michael Lothian schrieb:
Hi I like to have everything compiled into my kernel however I notice
that when I do this with the latest dvb drivers in the mm kernels the
tda1004 and stv0299 are both compiled in automatically when budget-ci is
selected.

I have no need for stv0229 so why is it being selected?
Before the frontend code was refactored, the frontend modules were independent parts of code. The big problem was that there was no way for type-safe communication between the hw-driver and the frontend module. Another disadvantage was that lot of hardware dependent code was inside the frontend module.

Now frontend modules are more like libraries, exporting only some well-known defined functions. Because of this, there is now a functional dependency between the hw-driver and the frontend modules. Today, all frontends that this hardware supports need to be loaded. Yes, a small amount of memory is wasted but this is negligible.

Mike
CU
Michael.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index