[linux-dvb] Re: Problem with compiling in

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 12:23:52PM +0000, Michael Lothian wrote:
> Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> >On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 05:15:14AM +0000, Michael Lothian wrote:
> >>Hi I like to have everything compiled into my kernel
> >Why?
> More to the point why not. It's my preference.

OK, but do you realise that there's no benefit?

> >>Hi I like to have everything compiled into my kernel however I notice
> >>that when I do this with the latest dvb drivers in the mm kernels the
> >>tda1004 and stv0299 are both compiled in automatically when budget-ci is
> >>selected.
> >
> >Which card do you use?
> Hauppauge Nova-t (Budget-ci & tda1004x)

In the latest DVB code (after the "refactoring"), you only need
to load the card driver and it will find the frontend; it knows which
frontend you have based on the PCI ID of your card. As a result, a given
card driver (like budget-ci) needs the frontend drivers for every type
of frontend that has been used on a budget-ci card.

So it seems that both tda1004x and stv0299 frontends are possible,
so both drivers are required. This is slightly inefficient given that
you don't need the stv0299 driver, but considered acceptable.

Hamish