[linux-dvb] Re: How high a bitrate can the cards take?

Moritz Vieth wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> Sebastian Kemper wrote:
>> Hello list!
>>
>  > [...]
>  >
>> Can you guys tell me if the dvb card has any boundaries concerning MPEG1
>> playback? Also, are there differences concerning this issue between the
>> different dvb card revisions?
>>
>> Btw, I thought quality scale means variable bitrates. Why can they still
>> call it MPEG1. MPEG1 is constant bitrate, right?
>>

> Unfortunately, I can't help you with your problem specifically, but
> maybe mentioning that DVB streams are MPEG2 (not MPEG1) could bring you
> further.
> (Or maybe I just misunderstood your problem ;))

Yes, DVB streams are MPEG2, but the FF cards can replay MPEG1, too, and
that's what mplayer generates.

I observed that if I generate a MPEG1 file via mplayer, it replays fine
on my laptop, so the file itself is ok, but on bitrates over 2MBytes/s
the replay on the FF card starts to stutter. On my laptop I can see that
those files have bitrates up to 3.4 MBytes/s but replaying via the DVB
card the bitrate hits a limit at around 2MByte/s and doesn't go higher.

Cheers,
Juri

Home | Main Index | Thread Index