[linux-dvb] panic or freeze on PPC with kernel 2.6.x

Hello listmembers!

I am new to this list and I am not a programmer, but I found a problem I can not solve by myself. I am running vdr on an Apple Macintosh PowerPC with a Siemens DVB-C card version 1.5. This worked with out a problem with an old beige G3 and kernel 2.4.x but then I switched to an G4 and to kernel 2.6.x.

Now I have one serious problem: Every program that wants to grab a picture from the dvb-card crashes the computer. For example when I want to grab a picture with vdradmin the computer panics or freezes. The computer does not answer pings, no reaction on keyboard or mouse, the cursor stops blinking thats it. Another example when I run xawtv the computer freezes as soon as xawtv wants to display the TV-picture on the monitor. Because I am not a programmer I can not track this error down, but I did some testing and this is what I found out:

The problem does not exists in kernel 2.4.x and driver-source 2003-08-11:
kernel 2.4.28 (selfmade) + DVB-driver 2003-08-11 (selfmade) + vdr 1.2.6 (debian-package) - everything is okay
kernel 2.4.28 (selfmade) + DVB-driver 2003-08-11 (selfmade) + vdr 1.3.17 (selfmade) - everything is okay

I get a crash or freeze with every versions of kernel 2.6.x I have tested:
2.6.7 debian-package,
2.6.8.1 selfmade,
2.6.8 debian-package,
2.6.9 selfmade

So looks to me that the dvb-driver that is included with the 2.6.x-kernel-sources has a problem with PowerPC. (endian-problem?)

Is someone here to help to solve this bug? Well, for real - this one has to do the work I can do testing :-)
BTW Is there a way to determine which version of dvb-driver I am running? Would be really nice to have a version-number in the logs when I grep for dvb.

Thanks, bye,
Christoph

--
Dipl. Ing. Christoph Ewering
C & E Mediensysteme GmbH

Hatzfelder Str. 68F Tel.: 05254 - 80 68 66
33104 Paderborn Fax.: 05254 - 80 68 64
eweri@cunde.de Mob.: 0173- 566 266 1
http://www.cunde.de
G4 Rechenleistung und Airport inklusive.
Das neue iBook G4 - mehr unter
http://www.cunde.de/products/apple/ibook/

Home | Main Index | Thread Index