[linux-dvb] Re: panic or freeze on PPC with kernel 2.6.x

Am 15.12.2004 um 00:58 schrieb Johannes Stezenbach:

Christoph Ewering wrote:
I am new to this list and I am not a programmer, but I found a problem
I can not solve by myself. I am running vdr on an Apple Macintosh
PowerPC with a Siemens DVB-C card version 1.5. This worked with out a
problem with an old beige G3 and kernel 2.4.x but then I switched to an
G4 and to kernel 2.6.x.

Now I have one serious problem: Every program that wants to grab a
picture from the dvb-card crashes the computer. For example when I want
to grab a picture with vdradmin the computer panics or freezes. The
computer does not answer pings, no reaction on keyboard or mouse, the
cursor stops blinking thats it. Another example when I run xawtv the
computer freezes as soon as xawtv wants to display the TV-picture on
the monitor. Because I am not a programmer I can not track this error
down, but I did some testing and this is what I found out:

The problem does not exists in kernel 2.4.x and driver-source
2003-08-11:
kernel 2.4.28 (selfmade) + DVB-driver 2003-08-11 (selfmade) + vdr 1.2.6
(debian-package) - everything is okay
kernel 2.4.28 (selfmade) + DVB-driver 2003-08-11 (selfmade) + vdr
1.3.17 (selfmade) - everything is okay

I get a crash or freeze with every versions of kernel 2.6.x I have
tested:
2.6.7 debian-package,
2.6.8.1 selfmade,
2.6.8 debian-package,
2.6.9 selfmade

So looks to me that the dvb-driver that is included with the
2.6.x-kernel-sources has a problem with PowerPC. (endian-problem?)
What exactly is "DVB-driver 2003-08-11"?
Do the drivers from dvb-kernel CVS, linux_2_4 branch work?
Do not know exactly, but they are a snapshot of CVs from 11.08.2004.

Does xawtv crash both with overlay and grabdisplay mode?

Sorry, do not know how to test it. fbtv freezes also the computer. Looks to me that as soon as a program wants to grep pictures from the dvb-card the system freezes. When i grap a photo with vdradmin (sending telnet command to vdr) there is no overlay or grapdisply involed, right?

Bye,
Christoph

Home | Main Index | Thread Index