[linux-dvb] Re: [rfc/patch] pll handling and cx22702 update

Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> enum dvb_tuner_mode {
>  DVB_PLL_SCAN,
>  DVB_PLL_LOCK,
> };

Hm, do you care to explain what this means?

> Firstly, the tuner is more than just the PLL. Some of them have more than one
> device which must be programmed... e.g. the TDM1316L has the MC44bc374c chip
> which must be disabled for proper functionality. This is a tuner-specific
> detail and not a card-specific one - it is inside the tinbox.

I think a lot of PLLs are of the simple variety, and we should leave
the code in place that handles them. IMHO there is no need for dvb-pll to
handle every exotic PLL, this can be left to specialized code.
Of course if you find a way to generalize dvb-pll to work for
more PLLs it is good, but we shouldn't sacrifice the code savings
and the gain in clarity/readability Gerd's version of dvb-pll
had by over-generalization.

As for the TDM1316L/MC44bc374c, IIRC Gerd's code just prepares the
PLL messages but leaves it for card-specific code to send them.
So there should be no problem.

Johannes

Home | Main Index | Thread Index