[linux-dvb] Re: DVB, MythTV and PVR-350

> Anyone here using a DVB card in conjunction with MythTV and a PVR-350?

Yes.  I am..

> I'd like to build an HTPC based on MythTV and receive both analog TV
> (with the PVR-350) and satellite (via some DVB card that i'll choose
> later).
> AFAICT, with PVR-350 one could use the 350's analog output to play the
> video back to the TV (it's actually possible to use the 350 as a
> "graphics" card and run X on it). The problem is, what happens to the
> stream captured via the DVB card? Can it be played through the PVR-350?

Yes I did some minor patches to make this work..

> I guess, what i'm trying to find out is whether i can use the PVR-350 as
> an input and output device, and the DVB card as an input device only
> (the output being PVR-350)? Are the two technologies compatible enough?

Yes, but keep in mind the PVR350 being used as an output device can be a bit
termpermental.. Its reasonably stable these days, but it still can lock up in a
way that required you to reboot to get the card back in a usable state (rmmoding
and modprobing isnt enough)..

The only upcoming thing that might complicate this is I am working on changing
the recording format for DVB recordings to be a stripped TS, and I am pretty
sure the PVR350 cannot play back TS format, so a TS->PES will have to be put
somewhere in the ivtvdecoder.cpp code.  Keep in mind I won't release anytyhng
that breaks the 350 since I use one myself.. :)

Taylor

Home | Main Index | Thread Index