[linuxtv-softmpeg] Re: Connection to VDR-Softdevice

Hello Malte,

On 03/09/04 11:28, Malte.Grunwald@beb.de wrote:
What is the connection of Softmpeg to the VDR-Plugin-Softdevice? Are these
independent developments
Yes.

or is the Softdevice using softmpeg.
No. "softdevice" is a self-contained approach, ie. it does everything necessary to playback and display by itself and is thus limited to "vdr". It has DirectFB, XV and SDL output, but I wasn't satisfied by the approach and by the results.

"libsoftmpeg" in contrast, is a library, the vdr "softmpeg" plugin is only a user of "libsoftmpeg". In theory, "libsoftmpeg" can be used for other VDR-like projects like "MythTV", too, but currently nobody has tried this.

"libsoftmpeg" was started with the idea of having as-good-as-possible a/v sync and as-good-as-possible tv-out quality. Because of this, we focus on DirectFB and FusionSound currently, ie. you'll need a gfx adapter with DirectFB support and cannot use X in parallel.

Are there two solutions I could try.
If you don't have a gfx adapter that is supported by DirectFB and/or you want to use X, then you must use "softdevice".

In every other case, you can try both and judge what's better.

Thanks for nay info
By Malte
CU
Michael.