[linuxtv-softmpeg] Re: Chroma artifacting

Hi Michael,

I turned off deinterlacing and retested for the chroma problems. They still appear, so I am pretty sure that the chroma artifacting is not directly related to the deinterlacing process.

I do however suspect that the cause may be related to interlace. The MPEG-2 stream is MP@ML, which implies 4:2:0 subsampling. Perhaps there's a discrepancy between how chroma is sampled between adjacent fields? If the chroma is encoded on a per-frame basis and decoded on a per-field basis (or vice-versa) then it is possible to end up with chroma from the wrong point in time and space. I have previously seen such issues when transcoding DV25 material to MPEG2.

I'll have a read of the standard to see if I can get a clear answer on how the streams are supposed to be encoded.

Then again, there may be a completely different explanation...

--
"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."