[mpeg2] Re: Kfir and Windoze

On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 09:56:23PM +0100, Lewe Zipfel wrote:
> I think my driver is still bad. It must be. For example, I cannot load
> the kfir module with the option "vidrate=1" (what is fo VBR afaik). Also
> I did try to load my kfir with the options that Kees used (insmod kfir.o
> loaded=1 vidinmode=1 vidoutmode=0 sndfreq=6 vidsize=38 vidrate=4
> vidinput=1 debug=1) and it didnt work out as well.. my pc will always
> crash when I try loading one of these parameters. Another thing is when
> I encode video with the "make insmod" modules I have no problems viewing
> the movie. But in case I load the modules like this: "insmod kfir.o
> vidsize=0x12 sndfreq=6" I can encode movies as well but when I try view
> them with my winx player it crashes imediately... I have no clue why
> this is happening.. any ideas?

A couple of observations, but I'm not sure if any of these explain why
your PC crashes:

1. vidrate is supposed to set the bitrate for the video encoding.  For VHS
quality, this would be around 1000000 (1 million) bits/second.  You can
look at http://www.bernclare.com/encoders.htm#Q2 to get some ideas about
how high to set vidrate.

2. I don't think you can set VBR via the commandline right now.  From
looking at kfir.c, VBR is automatically selected for MPEG-2 (and likewise
CBR is set for MPEG-1).

Home | Main Index | Thread Index