[mpeg2] Any news on the VIA chipset problem - solved (almost)

I fixed my setup and now kfir.o is loading successfully and can be unloaded
also! (Hooray!) Thanks all for your help figuring it out, I am posting this
in the hope it may be useful to others.

What I did:

1. Flashed the newest BIOS for my motherboard (GA-7ZM, BIOS Version is now
FC1). This was done only as precaution and its effects may be unrelated.

2. Upon boot I disabled USB completely in the BIOS setup. RedHat 7 then
booted and Kudzu was asking me it could not find the VIA USB controller
anymore and if I like to remove it from my system setup - I told him to do so.

3. loaded kfir.o, no lockups! It just loaded and KFIR initialisation were ok.

Still there is a small issue: I get message that the ADSP loading and later
initialization failed, from the console it looks like kfir.o retries
several times then continues. Is this a normal effect or is there something
wrong here?

But at least the system does not freeze up anymore and I can load and
unload kfir for as long as I like!

- Frank

*** Frank M. Siegert, frank<at>this.net, frank<at>wizards.de
*** WWW @ http://www.this.net/~frank * http://www.wizards.de
*** Get my PGP key: http://www.this.net/~frank/newpgpkey.asc

Home | Main Index | Thread Index