[mpeg2] Re: [mpeg2]How to reduce MPEG-2 coding delay

    Ralph> Frank Rosengart writes:
    >> Rob Morris wrote:
    >>
    >> > I'm not sure what 'significantly longer' than 1 frame means, but
    >> the nature > of MPEG-2 requires a few frame latency.
    >>
    >> You got it. It's not the best idea to choose MPEG-2 codecs for real
    >> time applications. Maybe M-JPEG is the right choice if quality has
    >> the highest priority.

Yes, it is implicit that in this case B and P frames must be eradicated...

    Ralph> AFAIR, the people at Visiontech said that the encoding delay of
    Ralph> the Kfir when using only I frames is one frame. So, this is
    Ralph> already much more than the end of the next 16 pixel line block
    Ralph> you were talking about before. But you should ask Visiontech to
    Ralph> get exact numbers.

Interesting anyway. It is always better than computing B frames with a
10-frame or more latency... :-)

In fact, I guess that a plain frame buffer with a multimedia instruction
MJPEG compression software could do the job...

The issue is to synchonize the software to stay 16 lines behind the video
spot... At least the current line number should be available to the
software.
--
    Ronan KERYELL              |\/
    Labo Informatique Télécom  |/)  Tel:    (+33|0) 2.29.00.14.15

Home | Main Index | Thread Index