[mpeg2] kfir and linux 2.4.XX

I am trying to get a Kfir board working with the Linux driver.

I know that the card does work, I've successfully used it on a
Windows 98 machine and encoded a NTSC stream.

I've tried several versions of the linux kernel with Redhat 7.2
filesystem/applications. The kernels I've used are built from 2.4.2
(Redhat SRPM), 2.4.12 (Redhat SRPM) and 2.4.9 (vanilla Linus
distribution).

I've also tried 4 different PC's: Pentium 166/Intel Triton;
1Ghz P3 Serverworks chipset; 450Mhz P3 Intel chipset; 750 MHz P3 (different
intel chipset). [All of these machines are made by HP of course..]

And I'm using the cvs version of the driver. I've used i2c-core and
i2c-algo-bits from both the kernel distribution and those in the cvs
tree.

Moreover, I've also tried both PAL and NTSC signals.

The behaviour is typically: the modules load successfully, but

cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/foo.mpg

generates a zero length file.

However, on the Pentium machine, the same command locks up the system
(requiring a reset) - I used this hardware and Win98 to test the kfir card,
and and the card does work with win98 on that platform.

I'd like to hear from anyone that has this card working. Could you
let me know what kernel version you're running, on what hardware,
and any changes you might have made to the driver?

I've started tinkering with the source, but it's very difficult to
make progress as the driver is the only documentation I have. Are there
any documents available which describe the hardware? (at the level
of detail where it would be possible to maintain the driver)

Many thanks,

Andrew
Andrew Thomas                  | DISCLAIMER: opinions expressed in this
Hewlett-Packard Laboratories   | message are personal and do not represent
1501 Page Mill Road  MS 1U-17  | the opinions of Hewlett Packard Co.
Palo Alto CA 94304-1126        |

Home | Main Index | Thread Index