[mpeg2] Obtaining proper hardware

ssingh@up.elctech.com writes:

 > I am planning to implement software using the drivers available but I
 > would like to make sure that I get the proper hardware.  I am NOT planning
 > to buy the WinTV PVR so that is solved but I wanted to use a card with the
 > phillips SAA7146 bridge and I wanted make sure it is supported by the
 > drivers.  I believe that it is but I wanted to make sure.  Also I need to
 > make sure that the board uses the kfir1 chip not the kfir2, right?  I was
 > hoping someone could quickly confirm this stuff before I buy anything.
 > Thanks.

The only encoder card our driver supports is the one based on the
Visiontech Kfir1 reference boards. It uses a PLX9054 as PCI bridge.
It is assembled and sold by BMK as described at:
http://www.linuxtv.org/mpeg2/kfir.xml

The WinTV PVR also uses the Kfir1 but a Bt878 as PCI bridge.
Niels de Carpentier is working on a port of our driver to work with
this card. It is not completely working yet but you can follow
his progress at pvr.sourceforge.net.

The cards with SAA7146 bridge are DVB decoder cards designed and
manufactured by Technotrend and sold by Siemens, Hauppauge, Galaxis,
and some others. Don't buy those if you are looking for an encoder card.

Ralph

Home | Main Index | Thread Index