[mpeg2] kfir & microcode location?

Hi guys, been  digging through the list to no avail  for the solution to
this  problem:  I've  got my  kfir  working  great,  but for  the  final
insertion of  the kfir.o  modules I have  to use ``insmod''  rather than
``modprobe''.  The desired behavior  is that everything should be loaded
automagically when my system boots - but  in order to do this I need the
microcode to be visable to the  module.  But I'm fuzzy on how to specify
where  the microcode is  when I  ``modprobe'' my  module.  I'm  setup as
follows:

        /root/kfir/drivers/micro
is where the microcode lives.  The Makefile has
        SYSTEM=/root/kfir/drivers/micro
        MICRO=$(SYSTEM)
( redundant, I know )

So if I modprobe from anywhere OTHER than /root/kfir/drivers, I get
        kernel: Unable to load 'micro/altera_keb_plx_5e.rbf'

So I then try copying the microcode to /lib/modules/<version>/misc/micro
(misc is where  the kfir.o and saa7113.o modules  live) and ``modprobe''
works from  anywhere, but ``depmod'' complains about  the non-ELFness of
my  microcode.  This isn't  a showstopper,  but it's  a kludge  and it's
ugly.  I want the microcode in some acceptable location, but I also want
to  be able  to  modprobe from  anywhere  (i.e. with  just  an entry  in
modules.conf) ; how do I set this up?

Thanks!

--
% You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike.
  Christopher DeMarco

Home | Main Index | Thread Index