[mpeg2] MPEX questions

Hi:

I have been playing with a MPEX encoder board, but I get lost in a
world of problems.

First I patch + compile a new kernel (2.4.20) with v4l2 support. I
install the 0.1.10 version of the saa7134 driver and I get the
video0 and video1 devices, all ok.

When I execute tscap with a video camera connected to the S-Video input,
I get a nice black & white movie in a program stream (the absence of
colour could be a connector issue, but I'm pretty sure that it works
before...).

Catting from /dev/video1 I get something that is almost a transport
stream but with no tables. I suppose that I need to add them by hand, is
that right? Neither mplayer nor vlan could play that stream without
changes.

When I want to use the v4l2 interface I get "invalid argument" from all
ioctl calls that I tried.

So, well, I install the newest version of the driver (0.2.9) from bytesex.org,
with this driver I could get some info with the VIDIO_QUERYCAP and the
VIDIO_ENUMINPUT ioctls:

/dev/video0 capabilities
========================
Driver                  -> saa7134
Card                    -> EMPRESS
Bus Info                -> PCI:00:0c.0
Version                 -> 0.2.8
Supports video capture  -> YES
Supports video output   -> NO
Supports video overlay  -> YES
Supports VBI capture    -> YES
Supports VBI output     -> NO
Supports tuner          -> YES
Supports audio          -> NO
Supports read/write     -> YES
Supports async I/O      -> NO
Supports streaming      -> YES

/dev/video1 capabilities
========================
Driver                  -> saa7134
Card                    -> EMPRESS
Bus Info                -> PCI:00:0c.0
Version                 -> 0.2.8
Supports video capture  -> YES
Supports video output   -> NO
Supports video overlay  -> NO
Supports VBI capture    -> NO
Supports VBI output     -> NO
Supports tuner          -> NO
Supports audio          -> NO
Supports read/write     -> YES
Supports async I/O      -> NO
Supports streaming      -> YES

Video Inputs for /dev/video0
============================
input 0 name            -> Composite1
input 1 name            -> S-Video
input 2 name            -> Television

Video Inputs for /dev/video1
============================
input 0 name            -> CCIR656

A bit strange since I have no tuner and my board has 4 composite inputs

But with this driver the video1 device returns an annoying string of
zeros.

So, how I could get some control over this encoder?. I need to be able to
choose the video input at least, since AFAIK the TS output could not be
tuned yet.

Could someone can throw some light on any of my doubts?
Thanks for your time in advance.

--
|	Samuel        |

Home | Main Index | Thread Index