[vdr] Re: Programm VDR over Web

YOU ARE RIGHT.

I have just discovered that tvtv is also available in french, and
programs are avalaible for many other countries.

to accomodate for other countries, you have to adjust one or two minor
things in epg2timers program source ; and it rolls !!!
(it deals with national characters support and a change in
"stop_time_line" constant which includes 'bis' in german, in french it
is "jusqu'&agrave")

tvtv.fr is pretty well done and all you need is to automate fetching the
"reminder list".

That way i can let my wife program VDR without booting the 'allways too
loud' PC in the TV room with the 'silent iMac'.

I think I will test a modified VDR so that it just display and update
timers without actually doing the recording and let my main PC with the
CAM module record using a shared nfs filesystem.

Keep it simple !!
Thanks Carsten

Patrick.

Carsten Koch wrote:

> Guido Fiala wrote:
> > He want's to click around in some program guide (may it be tvtv) at his
> > office PC or some public-access web terminal from anywhere in the world
> > and then press a button at that webpage, a user@host & password box appears,
> > you enter the necessary information to log into your vdr-box at home (which
> > is online via flatrate), and your VDR gets programmed.
>
> I wonder if anybody has even tried epg2timers as it is. ;-)
>
> All those "great" ideas are in fact inferior to what we
> already have. Sorry for being ironic, but it's the truth.
>
> With epg2timers as it is right now, you can click around
> in the http://tvtv.de EPG at any PC or some public-access
> web terminal anywhere in the world, select films for
> recording and your VDR at home will record it.
>
> Maybe it is too good for people to believe it, but it
> does work fine. See the README file.
>
> Polling the EPG via a crontab entry is only one way of
> doing it. I have a local version here that polls the
> EPG when VDR shuts down for any reason. To make it shut
> down often enough, I use the -s option with a script that
> simply kills VDR. To limit the number of polls to one
> every 8 hours, I use the modification time of a log file.
>
> Here is my current local runvdr script that does all this
> and does not require a crontab entry:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> DRIVERDIR=/home/cko/DVB/driver
> VDRDIR=/home/cko/VDR
> VDRUSER=cko
> TOOLDIR=/home/cko/bin
> VDRCMD="./vdr -c . -a $TOOLDIR/play_ac3 -w 15 -s $TOOLDIR/killvdr"
> LOG=/var/log/update_timers_log
> INTERVAL=480
>
> /usr/local/sbin/lircd
>
> while (true) do
>    if fuser /dev/ost/* > /dev/null ; then
>       kill `fuser /dev/ost/* | cut -d: -f2- | sed 's@^ *@@g' | sort -u`
>       sleep 2
>       if fuser /dev/ost/* > /dev/null ; then
>          kill -KILL `fuser /dev/ost/* | cut -d: -f2- | sed 's@^ *@@g' | sort -u`
>       fi
>    fi
>
>    cd $DRIVERDIR
>    make rmmod
>    make insmod
>
>    /usr/local/bin/rdate waldi
>
>    if [ "`find $LOG -mmin -$INTERVAL`" != $LOG ] ; then
>       date >> $LOG
>       $TOOLDIR/update_timers.old >> $LOG
>       echo >> $LOG
>    fi