[vdr] Re: New VideoCD Patch

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001 12:26:14 +0100, "Jean-Claude Repetto"
<jc@repetto.org> wrote:

> Have you considered using a client/server implementation ? I think it would
> have several adavantages. For example, you could have a large, noisy server
> with 4 DVB cards, big disks (and why not a noisy DVD reader) in a closet
> near the dishes.  This PC would run a VDR server, a MP3 server, a DVD
> server, a VCD server, a DIVX server, a photo album server ...
> Then there are the clients, which manage the display, OSD, and IR remote
> control. We'd have clients for the WinTV-DVB-S card, for the DXR3, for VGA
> with software MPEG decoding, for Windows .... The client PC could be
> diskless.
> The servers and the clients should be able to run on the same PC, for people
> wishing to have a large  PC in their living-room.

Mostly we already have this running. Look at the installation of Axel
Gruber or mine. ;-)
NFS is the keyword. Except for DVD everything is shared. Of cource it
can be tuned further by allowing a distributed control of the timers and
synchronized access to a all resources. But it already works in a
reasonable fashion. It is not to hard to setup thin clients without
disks and booting from network. I have done this for Linux x-terminals.
It would be really interesting to find a ultra-compact case with only
one PCI-slot, build-in video, audio, s/pdif, network and quiet fans.

I know, your idea is in some way different, but the functionality is
available today.

Emil

Home | Main Index | Thread Index