[vdr] Re: problem with samba share.cannot see the *.vdr files

Gunnar Roth wrote:

> > Gunnar Roth wrote:
> >
> > >hi,
> > >another problem of mine is that i cannot see the *.vdr on my linx machine
> from my windows client.
> > >the dir seems epmty and explorer repost 0 byte of content. every other
> file can be seen.
> > >does anyone know how i can solve this? for now i have to login to my
> linux machine and copy the
> > >files from there to my windows computer which works.
> > >
> > Windows has problems with some of the characters used by vdr in
> > directory names ( was it ":"?)
> > Rename your directorys, and use the VFAT compile option to prevent vdr
> > >from using such characters in the future.
> >
> > Hope that helps,
> >
> > Michael
>
> Hmmm i just tried what you said. i couldnt see any strange characters, but
> in fact renaming the *.rec dir to a simple string did actually help. if i
> make a ls i see "2001-12-24.00:23.50.50.rec" whi ch doenst seem to contain
> special character, but when i make a "ls" and then press tab i get
> "2001-12-24.00\:23.50.50.rec/". the \ seems to be the problem. so i will
> trust you and try the VFAT option. but i am curios why the dir naming is
> done in such incompatible way. cant see an obvious reason for this.

VDR was written *ON* and *FOR* Linux. I never spent a single thought on Windows
when starting to develop VDR. So it came naturally to me to use the ':' as the
separator in the 'time' part of the directory names. Ok, some time later somebody
found that he couldn't access the VDR recordings from his Windoze machine because
of the ':'. I therefore introduced the VFAT compile time option to allow people using
Windows to have the recordings in a way they could access them. At that time there
were already quite a few recordings on Linux disks, so I didn't want to put the
burden on those people who didn't have a problem with the ':' character.

Klaus