[vdr] Re: addign STB-style timeshifting to VDR

Carsten Koch wrote:

> Anton Schegg wrote:
>
>>Anyway - some enhancements could make watching tv with VDR even more
>>exciting:
>>Pause: press pause button (could be same as used in replay mode) on your
>>remote -> VDR could almost do the same as "Menu - Red" does today.
>>In addition to that, VDR could immediately go into play mode of that
>>recording, starts playing the first frame and then it pauses. In the
>>meanwhile VDR records as usual.
>>

> THAT idea I do like.
> It does not seem to be very complicated, it uses the existing
> functions, so it should be easy to implement.

This is exactly how I'm planning on implementing the pausing. I just
have to be carefull so that the video moves smoothly from live tv to
recorded video. I.e. no jumps and corrupted video etc. The first version
will probably be crap from that point of view. Weäll see...

>>A further enhancement for ending the play mode could be that VDR knows
>>that the recording was not invoked by a timer and in this special case
>>it would automatically delete the recording after leaving play mode.
>>

> I could live without that.
> Pressing Back/Yellow/OK is fine with me even for that case.
>

> Instead, I would display a permanent OSD message when pause
> is pressed to initiate the recording, saying something like
>   "Pausing live TV - recording to @channel_name"
>
> That would help me preventing accidental recordings when I
> touch the pause button by mistake.
> It would also remind me that disk space is being used and
> where to find the recording that I must remember to delete.

Good idea (the OSD message). The configurable pause timeout was also
mentioned here earlier. If the timeout expires, the recording could be
deleted automatically.

> Carsten.

Br, Lauri

Home | Main Index | Thread Index