[vdr] Re: VDR - doesn\'t play the last seconds of a recording

peter.dittmann@freenet.de wrote:

> ----- original Nachricht --------
>
> >Peter Dittmann wrote:
> >> Jan 31 02:26:06 ikarus vdr[1142]: buffer usage: 100%
> >> Jan 31 02:36:58 ikarus vdr[1141]: recording to '/video0/Buffy_-_Im_Bann_der_D.monen/2002-01-31.01:10.50.99.rec/005.vdr'
> >> Jan 31 02:43:51 ikarus vdr[1141]: ERROR: can't record MPEG1!
> >> Jan 31 02:57:40 ikarus -- MARK --
> >> Jan 31 02:58:41 ikarus vdr[1141]: recording to '/video0/Buffy_-_Im_Bann_der_D.monen/2002-01-31.01:10.50.99.rec/006.vdr'
> >> My fix for that was to raise VIDEOBUFSIZE in dvbapi.c:line54 to MEGABYTE(4)
> >> Now there is a strange effect. The system would finish replaying a file
> >> already approx. 10 seconds before the file end (checked with OSD replay display
> >> on). It apeares that the ouput thread is finished when the input thread has no
> >> more data to read.
> >> The better way would be of cause to play until the output thead has emptied the
> >> buffer before finishing replaying.
>
> >I'm afraid you're just curing the symptoms. Recording and replaying works
> >fine here with the default buffer sizes. There may be cases where the last
> >few seconds of a recording are not replayed, but does that really matter?
> >Normally you always record several minutes past the official end of a broadcast,
> >to make sure you get the entire show.
>
> >There must be something wrong with your system which causes opening/closing
> >of files to take longer than usual. Which file system are you using? How
> >fast is your harddisk? Is it local or NFS mounted?
>
> >Klaus
> --- original Nachricht Ende ----
>
> I don't know the accurate speed but copy tasks of  VDR files are showing 3..3,5MB/s. I have 2x 40GB (Maxtor+Fujitsu).
> On my P2/300 I can simultaneous cut a recording, replay (without skips) and burn a VDR file on CD with 4x without problems (so I doubt it's a pure speed problem).
> And this is the problem with the skipped seconds: I can mount VDR files from CD so that the recording would be found and can be replayed by VDR. But at the cutting points I miss a few seconds of the movie.
> As indicated a real solution seems to be to delay quiting  the input thread until the output thread runs out of data.
>
> best regards     Peter Dittmann
>
> P.S. how about an idea to allow the operator to fine tune the cutting points for the separation into separate files (001.vdr, 002.vdr, 003.vdr,....), so the cutting point between individual files can be moved to szene changes of the movie (limited by max filesize).

You can fine tune the cutting points with the '4' and '6' keys (see MANUAL).
To have each sequence in a separate file you can set SplitEditedFiles in the
"Setup" menu.

> P.P.S may be it's the suse kernel 2.4.0. I headed some rumors about some IDE driver problems in this version.

I'm using SuSE 7.3 with kernel 2.4.10 (original from the CD) without any such problems
as you have described.

BTW: please wrap your lines...

Klaus