[vdr] Re: DVD-Navigation

polom@convergence.de wrote:

> [vdr] Re: DVD-Navigation
>
> polom@convergence.de
>
> 04 Feb 2002 22:46:32 UT
>
> vdr@linuxtv.org

> Hi,
>
> Quoting Andreas Schultz (aschultz@cs.uni-magdeburg.de):
>
>>apieper@gmx.net wrote:
>>

>>>Don't missunderstand me: It's really great if vdr can replay dvds,
>>>but why so uncomfortable (vdr showed how comfortable playback can be).
>>>

>>I'm not sure what you mean by "uncomfortable". My goal is to make VDR
>>act like a "normal" DVD player (with some extras).
>>

> Good goal, but not easily possible because of two limitations:
>
> 1. DVB OSD ist too weak for DVD Video SPU format. You would have to use
> something like DirectFB instead. SPU ist used for subtitles as well for menu
> graphics.

i'm not convinced about that. True, the OSD is quite weak, but from the
actual menus and subtitles i have seen on my DVD's, it should be
sufficient (with some tricks).

> 2. You are lacking the DVD Video Standard to ensure the "normal" DVD Video
> player functionality.

right, but the ogle team has done quite an amazing job in analyzing and
implementing quite a lot of the "normal" DVD navigation and scripting
functionality. All i do, is reusing what they have allready done.
As result, if you try at latest DVD -nav patches, you will find that it
is not that far of from the goal, although it far from perfect.

The biggest obstacle for me, is the lacking PAL60 support of the DVB
card, and this is unfortunatly really a hardware problem.

> I asking me if anyone in the Linux community would be willing to pay for a
> comercial DVD Video player application (with professional support) that
> is fully DVD Video standard compliant.

I think there is at least one commercialy available DVD player for linux.

Andreas

> Bye... Szymon.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index