[vdr] Re: comedian kills vdr (was: system freezes)

Matthias Fechner wrote:

> Hello Carsten,
>
> * Carsten Koch <Carsten.Koch@icem.de> [05-02-02 15:25]:
> > I honestly believe XFS is by far the best choice for a VDR machine.
>
> I'am using ext3 and i can only say, it is perfect.
> What is the difference between XFS and ext3?
> Can you explain it very shortly?

I know little about ext3.

I have been using XFS for about 7 years now (under SGIs IRIX,
about a year under Linux) and it never failed me.
It is very reliable, very mature, performs very well and
comes with a bunch of useful tools.

I had a hardware problem recently that destroyed the superblock
on one of my XFS disks. xfs_repair recovered the whole thing
without any manual intervention!

Check out http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs

A friend of mine installed ext3 recently. He had to press reset
due to a lockup, lost a bunch of files and had to redo part of
his installation. I had similar problems with reiser more than
once.

Carsten.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index