[vdr] Re: ERROR: skipped 28 byte to sync on TS packet

Hi Bernd,

thanks for the benchmark results!
This is very encouraging.
It gives me another reason to feel good about the
time I spent to convert my file systems to XFS,
install the XFS kernel patches, etc.
(not that I was not confident already)

Which kernel are you using?
I have been running 2.4.16 with XFS for a long time
now and I am planning to go to 2.4.17 very soon.

Carsten.

Bernd Hoose wrote:

> So here is the results of changing filesystems on vdr.
> VDR is
> 800 Celeron, 128MB, 6GB System Disk, reiserfs, 3 DVB-S, 80GB video disk.
> DVB Driver 2.2.2002, VDR 0.99pre4 and pre5
>
> Getting errors of dropped data to sync, when writing to disk over
> network or from a other tempory mounted device. I have mounted a 2. 80GB
> Disk for testing.
>
> 1. Reiserfs 2 cards recording and copying complete /video-test > /video
> -> Getting the continus drooping after ca. 20 sek.
>
> 2. Ext3, same as before with 2 cards
> -> Getting continus drooping after ca. 5min
>
> 3. Ext3, same as before with 3 cards
> -> Getting continus drooping after ca. 1min
>
> 4. xfs,  same as before with 3 cards
> -> the buffer running full up from 95% to 100% doing this ca. 2min then
> a single dropping, down again to arround 90% and doing this a long time.
> after copying 60 GB. i only have 15 dropps of data, by a transferrate of
> 8 MB/s from disk to disk.
>
> 5. xfs and changing to 4 cards and recording on all cards
> -> Same as before, getting 16 dropps
>
> So i stay at xfs, seems to be a good solution.
> even its not included in suse 7.3.
>
> Bernd

  | Carsten Koch                  Phone: +49-4286-920001     |
  | ICEM Technologies GmbH          Fax: +49-4286-1608       |
  | Sotheler Mühlenweg 15        mailto:Carsten.Koch@icem.de |
  | 27404 Elsdorf-Hatzte, Germany  http://www.icem.com       |

Home | Main Index | Thread Index