[vdr] Re: ERROR: skipped 28 byte to sync on TS packet

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 12:28:15PM +0100, Carsten Koch wrote:
> Hannu Savolainen wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Bernd Hoose wrote:
> >
> > > So i stay at xfs, seems to be a good solution.
> > > even its not included in suse 7.3.
> > Looks like xfs has been dropped from the 2.4.x kernels so some other
> > solution needs to be found.
>
> XFS has not been dropped from the 2.4.x kernels.
> I was never officially in the 2.4.x kernels.
> IBM's JFS is not in there yet, either, but
> SuSE has decided to put that patch into their kernel
> (among many other things) just like they did with
> reiserfs for a long time before it got into the
> official kernel.
> You have to get an original kernel from kernel.org
> to see what's really in the original kernel.
>
> I wonder why SuSE is putting so much energy
> into forcing every broken journalling file system
> into their kernel, but leave the best one out?

You may read the XFS patches and you see that it requires
really DEEP changes of the internal VFS and buffering
scheme of the kernel (ACLs).  Beside this the reiserfs hadn't
had and the current JFS does not need any changes
within the VFS and other kernel internals.

> Must be politics.
> Does anyone know? Dieter? Werner?

No, it has nothing to do with policies but with handling
kernels during tests and certification (e.g. for big data base,
stability, ...), and further support and maintenance. The
`Rattenschwanz' behind such big changes within a kernel grows
with any new kernel release (new tests, new certifications).

       Werner

Home | Main Index | Thread Index