[vdr] Re: OT: WOL with 3Com 3C905B-TX

webmaster@internettest.de(Matthias Queisler)  22.03.02 00:15

Once upon a time Matthias Queisler shaped the electrons to say...

>Hey list,

>it's a little bit off topic but I searched the whole net without
>finding any hints for solving my problem.
>I just want to power on the vdr every morning at 8 a.m.
>because I don't want to let the vdr turned on the whole night.

Why do you want to do it using WOL?
Why are you not using the RTC-timer? See nvram-wakeup.
This has the advantage that the VDR power on will be
complete controlled by VDR. (If you record at 3:00 VDR will
"wakeup" the box on his own.)

Some NICs are eating a lot of power when waiting for the wakeup...

>I downloaded wol-0.5.1-win32.zip from sourceforge.
>From what I have heard it is the best tool.

>Now I made an ifconfig to get the mac adress of my 3Com 3C905B-TX (I
>verified the adress with taking a look on the card it self). So I
>typed "shutdown -h now" to shutdown the vdr. From my other pc
>(192.168.0.114 PC > 192.168.0.8 VDR) I typed "wol XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX.
>The program sayed "waking up...". But nothing happened. So I tried
>several other tools for wol but it still doesn't work.

When both boxes are runnign doing a "ping wol-box"
and then an "arp -van" will give the real MAC address
of the the box to wakeup.
ifconfig on teh wol-box should work, but "arp -ra" is fool proof.
(If you do not get the same MAC on both ways you have a problem ;-)
(No joke, i know a (PCMCIA) NIC  that answers with an other MAC than
it is addressed... and if you have a router then there is mostly
a problem too.))

>The NIC got a link to the switch so the WOL in the BIOS is activated.

>Now I was on it to put a second DVBs into my system and for this I had
>to pull out the NIC. When I was ready I pluged in the cable for the
>WOL again. And wonder suddenly the vdr started. So that means, that
>the wol from the mainboard works but not from the NIC.
>Can anybody help?

Maybe your PC is sleeping too deep and turns off the standby-power
for the NIC too?

Few weeks ago we found that "wake on modem" would be a nicer
feature, if the "Ring"-Line is driven by the TV-Set.

Rainer

Home | Main Index | Thread Index