[vdr] Re: VDR config files in /etc/vdr?

> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> >
> > I'm in the process of finalizing VDR for the big release
> 1.0.0 and was
> > wondering if it would be a good idea to have the config
> files in /etc/vdr
> > by default.
> >
> > The thing to consider here is that some of these files are
> written to while
> > VDR is running, so this may not be something one wants to
> have in /etc.
> >
> > Any opinions on this?
>
> Well, it came as I was afraid it would...
> This is probably one of those questions where you ask ten people and
> you get at least eleven different opinions ;-)
>
> So I guess I'll leave everything as it is, since this has been working
> for quite a while now, and with the '-v' and '-c' options
> everybody can
> set up things the way they want.

I was thinking about this problem some time ago. Actually, having the '-c' option is sufficient for me. But that is, I admid, my personal opinion.
What I dislike ATM is, that there is no distinction between static data
(i.e. channels.conf, setup.conf, ca.conf, ...) and variable data (i.e. epg-data, timers.conf, ...). Especially with timers.conf you'll have a wrap-around problem if you restore a backup of the current configuration directory.

If you want to comply with UN*X standards static data would go to (/usr/local)/etc/vdr variable data to /var/vdr

CU,
Christian.