[vdr] Re: (1+n) dvb-s card

Emil Naepflein wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Apr 2002 16:22:50 +0200, Axel Gruber <axelgruber3@gmx.de>
> wrote:
>
> > > 1) When I want to use a second dvb-s card, _may_ I or _do I have to_ use a
> > > low budget card?
> > Yes - but think about that you must connect the CI to the "last" card in your
> > system (not to the Primary-CArd) - so in your case you sould buy a
> > "full DVB-S" card to connect a CI-Interface on it in future !
>
> It is not a must to connect the CI to the last card, it is only
> recommended in order to keep it free from unencrypted recordings as long
> as possible. This is because the search for a free card starts at the
> lowest secondary card number. If you would connect the CI to the first
> secondary card then it would be occupied by the first recording you
> start, even it is a free channel. Then when you start a recording of a
> encrpted channel no free card would be found and the recording fails.

This should be different with the new CICAM settings in the VDR setup.
It now tries to use a DVB card that provides as few CA modes as possible.
So it should not matter any more which secondary card holds the CAM. An FTA
recording will prefer a DVB card without CAM in order to keep the CAM
available as long as possible. And even if the CAM is occupied by an FTA
recording and a new recording starts that needs the CAM, the FTA recording
will be "shifted" to an other free DVB card.

At least that's how it's supposed to work ;-)

Klaus