[vdr] Re: AC3 over DVB-s is possible - Part2

Hi list,

I follow this thread with big interest, but without any experience in DD /
AC3 :-(
First many thanx to all people spending their time in this project, the
progress of this projects (vdr/mplayer/mp3/allTheOtherToolsAndPatches) is
amazing!

I have a working (only stereo) VDR-configuration with two DVBs (one Siemens
, one nova).

Now I want to establish a 2nd system in my living room. I already found a
nice case (www.spacewalker.com), but the lack of this is that the included
board provides only one PCI slot. Until now I had the impression that I need
a second slot for the soundcard to get AC3/DD sound. Now I understood that
with the new patches
by Wolfgang Fiesel and others its not necessary anymore:

snip...
> It's time to throw away the soundcard and forget the -a switch.
...endsnip

So my question:
Is it really possible to feed the SPDIF output direct from the DVB-s
connector J2 into a HiFi system (evt. with a little interfaceboard for
optical linking) ? Can I hear all the included audio streams now without a
soundcard? (the onboard soundcard has no SPDIF in/out)

What do I need on the HiFi side?

Thanx a lot
joerg

Home | Main Index | Thread Index