[vdr] Re: Streaming Mode? answers, requests and problems

----- Original Message -----
From: "Markus Winkler" <markus.winkler@gmxpro.de>
To: <vdr@linuxtv.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 3:31 PM
Subject: [vdr] Re: Streaming Mode? answers, requests and problems

> At 13:48 26.02.2002 +0100, you wrote:
> >As client you can use mplayer-CVS "mplayer [options]
> >rtp://[clientIP]:[clientPORT] -cache [cache in KB]".
> >
> >To install compile VDR_0.99 with AIO-24.02 and streaming option [streaming=1].
>
> Or use the patch found on my page http://pulp.mine.nu/dvbvideolan
>

> >You also have to copy DVBVideoLan-package parallel to DVB and VDR. Go into
> >DVBVideoLan and do "make"
>
> This is not necessary anymore. The whole code for streaming is in the patch
> now (including the rtp-stack).
>

> >Set the export DVBVL_DEST="[clientIP]" and export
> >DVBVL_PORT="[clientPORT]" variables (write them down to /etc/rc.d/rc.local
> >(RH7.x)
> >to set them automatically in case of restart ...)
>
> I want to make this configurable via the osd sometimes, but that's not top
> prio for me.
>

> >Go to VDR-OSD, select channel, go to "Streaming" option and use
> >red/F1-button for "Streaming on".
> >
> >Then you can start mplayer on the client.
>
> If u want to watch live tv on a windows client use my dvbpl.
>

> >Problems:
> >
> >- it works only for live tv :-(
>
> Yes, because it was simplest to rewrite some code of the recording section
> for the moment (was my first patch ever :-) )
>
> >- There are often RTP package failures causing distortions in the picture ...
> >- stuttering sound on DVB-S audio out with DVDs (might be caused by AC3-patch)
> >    but streaming sound is fine.
> >- it often works only one time, then mplayer complains something about
> >header 1 and a reboot of VDR-machine is needed to make it
> >work again
>
> Hm, that's weird. I never noticed thie behaviour in conjunction with the
> windows player. I didn't try mplayer yet, because it crashes my whole
> system every time (it worked very well, but then, i reconfigured something
> which i can't remember anymore :-( ).
>
> >request:
> >
> >Obviously, streaming uses a device like /dev/ost/dvr as source. So only
> >live tv can be streamed. But what about not using output
> > >from driver but input to driver interface instead? So anything send to
> > hardware decoder by any software would be streamed.
>

> >Streaming tv, radio, recordings, dvd, svcd, mp3 would also work then ...
>
> I'll check this...
>
> Markus

Hi, some extension to that idea. What about not patching VDR but the convergence driver?
Just add the RTP- stack to the driver and stream anything which is send to the hardware-decoder of the primary card.
This is PES/PS and MPEG1/MPEG2 in any case, as the HW-decoder can only handle that.
So software-players like mplayer shouldn't have any problem with playing (maybe they'll need a PES plugin ...)

You can add a function like "rtpstream( [serverIP:serverPORT])" to the driver, which could also have the option "off".
So channel-switching, etc. is made by the proprietary software - like VDR - and that software only says "rtpstream ( 10.1.1.1:5004)"
or "rtpstream( off )" to the driver for example.

Anything would be streamed and every software could easily be adapted to that API as it would only need that single function call.

> >Rene

Home | Main Index | Thread Index