[vdr] Re: Multiuser?

Please cut the lines to 72 characters, please.

> I would like to build a Linux VDR System. When I was studying the
> former mails a few questions remained unanswered.
>
> 1. What options do I have in creating multi-user Support for the VDR.
> What I've in mind is a server with three primary DVB-S cards.
> Every primary card is connected to a TV set. Then secondary cards should
> be used for recording.

You probably will be limited to one secondary card because of problems
with interrupts. I know currently nobody which has more than 4 cards in
the system. You may start 3 instances of vdr with explicit card
assignment, but then you may run into other problems with remote control
and the admin port.

> I seems that is not possible with vdr.

Impossible - not. But not with the standard system.

> Are there any plans in developing multi-user support for the vdr?
> What alternatives do I have? I want a system with shared harddisk
> content of the recored material.

The alternativ is to have one server with up to 4 cards. One of this
cards can be used as primary for one tv. The other two TVs are supported
with diskless (or low disk space) clients which mount the recording
directories and part of the config files. A 100 Mbit Ethernet and a
switch does support this without problems.

My setup consists of one server with 4 DVBs cards and one client with 1
DVBs card. This is certainly a bit more expensive, but therefore I can
use the VDR software as is.

> 2. When I share harddisk space with other user, what option do
> I've in hide one partition? (everyone should access the hole archive,
> but noone have to know the I watch Sabrina) A small partition should
> be enough - about 20GBs.

Currently you can do this only through setting the appropriate
permissions in linux.

> BTW: I would like to read me through anything; are there any howtos,
> faq, manuals or something like that available?

The archive of this mailing list is full of faqs. ;-)

Emil

Home | Main Index | Thread Index