[vdr] Re: 18 Minutes - what does that tell?

> >> To make my local drive silent I'm running noflushd. However very 18
> >> minutes, the drive wakes up. As my vdr crashed (for some
> strange reason
> >> which aren't important now) last night, I saw in the log
> that the drive
> >> stayed down for 700 minutes (compared to 18 whenever vdr is up).
> >>
> >> Does someone have a clue what vdr does every 18 minutes to
> make my drive
>
> >> wake up?
> >>

> >maybe writing the epgdata file. Use option "-E
> /<configpath>/epg.data" to
> >tell VDR where to save the file.
>
> Hi,
> I had a similar behaviour and was writing the epg data to a ramdisk.
> So this doesn't seem to be the reason.
>
> Another problem I had with nofushd was that it tried to store the data
> in (virtual) memory (OK, thats what it is supposed to do :-)) and then
> tried to flush a huge amount of data to the disk. Of course the disk
> was sleeping. During the spinup and flush data, often it looked like
> buffers would overflow resulting in dropouts.
> It seems that noflushd could not receive new data (from vdr) while
> flushing old ones - or at least not fast enough.
> Had anybody a similar problem or is somebody successfully driving a
> vdr box with noflushd?
> Maybe it's a good idea to stop noflushd on start of a recording and
> start it again when all recordings are finished?
>
> Richard

Yes I was using noflushd.
My observation was similar to yours.

When I had 512MB RAM in my vdr-box I definitely ran into buffer overflow
during spin-ups while recording.
I reduced to 128MB and increased the timeout of noflushd to 15 minutes.
This way the HDD never spins down while recording.

The spin up kills the recording most of the time!!!

CU,
Christian.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index