[vdr] Re: Bug vdr-1.0.0pre5?

Axel Gruber wrote:

> > Excellent. I totally agree. Honestly, no irony.
> > Klaus, your time is much too valuable to spend it with
> > windows up- and downward compatibility. I'd rather see
> > you implement something useful for Linux during the
> > same time.
>
> > I also suspect that using VFAT partitions might keep
> > people from looking for Linux solutions that solve the
> > problem they are trying to solve by letting vdr write
> > video data to a VFAT partition, booting windows afterwards
> > and process these data under windows. I do not believe
> > that the goal of the VDR project is to encourage that.
>
> Here are many people who are using a WINDOWS-client in the NETWORK.
> (Not dual-Boot)
>
> The other Thing is:
>
> I made DVD-R Diskīs with my VDR but i can only read this disks with a
> linux Computer because no WINDOWS Machine is able to read this directory
> Names.
>
> Iīm sure there are other solutions - but i think this would be a good idea.
>
> There are many good ideas - but klaus have to decide what ideas he take up
> and what ideas he dont realize - cause we should think about that he donīt earn
> money with the VDR-Projekt.
>
> What i donīt understand are statements like yourīs :-(
>
> Here i have 4 Linux-boxes at home and and only 1 Windows  - but i donīt want to miss
> it. Linux is very good for several thing - but not for all....
>
> Some little examples:
>
>  - Just buyed a WEBCAM - tryed it with linux 4 Dayīs - giving up - no chance
>  - Installing a Parallel-Webcam on a LInux-machine - work 3 Long nights on it now it works
>  - Just buyed a new cheap Scanner - no driver for Linux....
>
> Thatīs why i still use a Windows-Client - and whatīs wrong if i want to access to my VDR
> Video-Directory ?

Frankly, I really don't understand this entire discussion!

VDR *HAS* the VFAT switch to make it use file names that are useable on *BOTH*
Windows *AND* Linux - WHY DON'T YOU JUST SET THAT OPTION AND LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER???

Sorry for being loud, but I can't stand this Windows-user-wining any more...

Klaus