[vdr] Re: bad record / playback quality

Am Dienstag, 14. Mai 2002 11:46 schrieben Sie:
> Christian Fritz <chfritz1@yahoo.com>  wrote:
> > However if I start to play back a recording the
> > quality is very bad. Still
> > pictures are ok but
> > as soon as the content changes (f.e. people walk)
> > there are only big blocks instead of details
>
> I have a similar problem - O. K. not soo bad, but nethertheless I want
> it to disappear.
> I can have 3 simultaneous recordings with my 3 DVB-S cards mostly
> without problems, but often if I playback anything I have that blocks
> and also artefacts in sound, independent if there is any other activity
> on the machine (recording, cutting, network) or not.
>
> This problem was discussed her but not solved, so I think in my case CPU
> speed (1GHz), RAM (256MB), cards (3x DVB-S) and dma mode (udma5) are O.
> K. The only thing I have not tested yet is XFS instead of reiser.
> Unfortunately at the moment my disk contains many recordings which I
> don't want to delete, but perhaps you could test the XFS system before
> you record many things.

IMHO reiserfs is shity ..sorry for this... but having trouble with this fs
without end. On servers with large uptimes, the fs crashes without any error
message! Recovering of this fs is a real pain... it recovers old invaild
transactions, which turns your fs / data in an inconsistent state.

XFS is soooooooo faaaaaaaaaat ..... have no practical experience with it.

Why don't you use ext3 with the "data=journal"-mount-option on your "video
partition"?
In this mode it writes the transaction _AND_ the data into the log file
without loss of perfomance.  In this mode it's the only fs which can ensure
data consistency after a crash.
There is a notable article in the german c't end of last year or
beginning of this year!

As i sad: my opinion only!

Stefan

Home | Main Index | Thread Index