[vdr] Re: RFC - wakeup-timer

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

> Richard Cieply wrote:
> >
> > Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> >
> > [lines deleted]
> >
> > >Frankly, I don't like the idea of overloading the timers with "dummy"
> > stuff
> > >that doesn't really belong there.
> > >
> > >With the upcoming new plugin system, you could create a plugin that offers
> > >you an interactive way of maintaining additional wakeup times, which could
> > >be taken into account in your shutdown script. That way you still could
> > >do this from the VDR frontend, keeping the timer mechanisms "clean" ;-)
> > >
> > >Actually, VDR version 1.1.2 already has all the plugin facilities you'll
> > need
> > >for implementing sich a feature. You could have your own setup page where
> > you
> > >can edit extra wakeup times.
> >
> > OK, in some points I understand your concerns, even if wakeup timers
> > (better word than dummy timers)
> > wouldn't disturb me.
> > Hmm, maybe if this was my code they would indeed do so :-)
> > I'll leave your beloved timer mechanism clean --  just kiddin' :-)
> > The plugin aproach seem feasible to me - I'll take a look into this if time
> > allows.
> > Btw, one question:
> > What does VDR do if the ending time is equal to the starting time for a
> > timer?
> > Is this possible?
>
> I guess it would record 24 hours then.
>
> Klaus

Just checked the source and have to correct myself: if start and stop time
are equal, nothing will be recorded. The timer won't really "hit" and will stay
in the list as a "zombie".

So I guess I'll need to fix that, anyway. And while I'm at it, I might just
as well make it so that a timer with start==stop time will behave just like
any normal timer (with respect to triggering a reboot), but per definition
will _not_ create an actual recording. I guess that would be just what you
wanted in the first place, wouldn't it?

Klaus