[vdr] Re: OT: Flat Antenna useable?

Rainer Zocholl wrote:
> UNDER a transmitter antenna, there is only a weak or almost no field
> because that would be real waste.
> The antenna bundles it's energy mostly to a horizontical plane
> to get as far as possible arround.

That depends on antenna shape but most cases indeed, very low power
under
the antenna.
True but who's gonna live right under a transmitter antenna?
The reach of a signal depends on the frequency on the power.
Low frequencies can benefit there cause they are more intended to follow
the earth surface with or without help of reflection.
High frequencies go straight and reflection rate is very low.
This means... you need more transmitters.

Wireless LAN: they say that it's safe both on health as security.
              Hey.. those units work around2.4Ghz now take any
              microwave oven and compare the frequency.
              The only difference is output power.

              Now the tricky part : it doesn't matter how high
              the power output is. Time of exposure AND power
              are the two elements that can lead to .....
              I know, this is a fuzzy area but I sure don't love
              the idea that the internet users in my neighbourhood
              (most of them have a broadband router) switch to
              wireless.

Christian berger wrote :

>Well still I think UMTS is senseless waste of electricity, unless it
>get's really, really cheap, nobody needs it, nobody wants it, but
>actually that's what people thought of SMS in the early 90s.

Also true, but many operaters spended too much money on their UMTS
licenses and thei still need a lot of money to upgrade their current
network of transceivers. Who's gonna pay that at the end?
What offers UMTS? ... More bandwidth. Do people gonna use it? ...
Difficult to say but let's see what's most used of the GSM services: SMS
So UMTS will prolly add some crippled video but do people like that
idea?...
Nice technology but someone has to pay and it ends always at the
customer
Side.

Stefaan

Home | Main Index | Thread Index