[vdr] Re: Problem with script runvdr

Gerhard Steiner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> after playing around with VDR, I do have problems with the
> script runvdr.
> Uncertainly I don't know, what I did exactly (I am a newbe
> to linux).
>
> All I know is, that first everything was alright, but know
> vdr does not start automatically after a restart.
>
> There ist a line in runvdr
>      su -c "$VDRCMD" $VDRUSR
>       if test $? -eq 0; then exit; fi
>
> To find the error I changed the second line to
>       echo $?
>
> The output is now
>       2
>
> The values of VDRCMD and VDRUSR are correct.
> If I start VDR with "vdr -d" everything is fine.
> Only the start out of the script does not work.

VDR/INSTALL:

Automatic restart in case of hangups:
-------------------------------------

If you run VDR using the 'runvdr' shell script it will use the built-in
watchdog timer to restart the program in case something happens that
causes a program hangup. If you change the command line options for the
call to the VDR program, be sure to NOT use the '-d' option! Otherwise
                                    =======================
VDR will go into 'deamon' mode and the initial program call will return
immediately!

> What does the return value of su -c ... mean?
> Does anyone know what's going wrong here?

man vdr:

 EXIT STATUS
       0      Successful program execution.

       1      An  error  has been detected which requires the DVB driver and vdr to be re-
              loaded.

       2      An non-recoverable error has been detected, vdr has given up.

Klaus