Von: Gernot A. Weber [mailto:gernot@tux-web.de]
Gesendet: Freitag, 21. Juni 2002 13:29
An: vdr@linuxtv.org
Betreff: [vdr] Re: AC3-Sound

Hi,

> As I read in various documents, I need an extra soundcard with AC3
surround
> abilities. Is this still  necessary with my Hauppauge Nexus-S card? Even
if
> it has a S/PDIF-out line?

If you want to watch DD-movies live you have to buy a soundcard. If you
only want to replay recorded movies with DD than you only have to apply a
patch (included in AIO) and you are done.

> In case I need a card,  I plan to buy a Creative SondBlaster Live Player
5.1
> (35 ¤). My question: is this a good choice? Does it work well with my
Linux
> system  and is there a coaxial S/PDIF in-line? How should I connect my
> dvb-card to this card?

I bought a WinFast 4x Sound last year. It was about DM 70.-- including an
optical cable. I'm not sure whether it is still available (got it from
www.atelco.de). As far as I know the Soundblaster Live is not so easy to
use - someone please correct me, if I'm wrong. The C-Media chips (like on
my soundcard) are known as well supported (Multimedia audio controller:
C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 (rev 10)).

Connecting depends on your wishes. For replaying it is enough to connect
DVB-S digital out to your amplifier. For live DD-watching you have to
connect your soundcard to the amplifier. And if you don't want to change
cables each time, you should loop DVB-S digital out through your
soundcard. There is a good HOWTO on: www.linuxdvb.tv

Hope that helps,

Gernot

--
Gernot A. Weber
http://www.tux-web.de

Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff
on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it.

                              Linus Torvalds, after a hard drive crash

Home | Main Index | Thread Index