[vdr] Re: Shutdown does not always...

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Ewald Maier (EM) wrote:

EM> Hi all
EM> what can it be if the shutdown does not always do right?
EM> If I push at shutdown the message  "Taste drücken um shutdown
EM> abzubrechen" comes and most of the time the computer shuts off but not
EM> always! Sometimes I have to make it 6 times..
EM> (with the automatic shutdown it is sometimes the same)
EM> in /var/log/warn stands
EM> vdr nvram-wakeup[2013]: RTC_DATE (0x7F) is beyond the end of nvram

that's easy, your nvram-wakeup isn't configured corredtly. there are two
possibilities:
  1. while compiling you choosed the wrong board.
  2. while compiling you choosed the right board but forgot to patch the
     nvram driver (only needed if adresses >= 0x72 are used, like here)

What happens, is:
 - vdr calls vdrshutdown (or whichever script you use)
 - vdrshutdown calls nvram-wakeup.
 - nvram-wakeup fails because of 1. or 2. above
 - if you use vdrshutdown from nvram-wakeup package or an other
   well-written script, it dowsn't shutdown the computer.

A speculation, why it sometimes works:
  Do you have two different kernels, one of them with a patched nvram
  driver, one of them without?

EM> BTW: every boot the root filesystem is checkt...????
EM> (root was not cleanly unmounted, check forced)

Don't know, why this could happen. Do you just turn off the system?

EM> below in german:

Since  this  is  an  English-only  ML, if you like to switch to German, we
could discuss nvram-wakeup related topics off-list. (just write to my PM)

c ya
        Sergei
         eMail:       Sergei.Haller@math.uni-giessen.de
                -- Mark Twain