[vdr] Re: VDR files to vob

On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 00:44, Andreas Schultz wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 July 2002 23:37, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> > Andreas Schultz wrote:
> > > Hi,

VDR-files

> > > I looked a bit more into the remuxing and i will not spend any
more time
> > > on it. The remuxer will have to be rewritten from ground up to get
> > > sensible results
> >
> > What's wrong with it? I thought it would just take an extra data
> > record to satisfy dumb players?
>
> The players YES, but not the VOB format. I think the ultimate goal
should be
> to be able to record the resulting file without further processing to
a DVD
> (at least that would be my goal). For that the PS packets have to be
2048
Even if vdr files would be VOB compliant, there is the problem of
bitrate; I have not much experience of vdr recordings, but I found that,
for a cropped full D1 PAL (705x576) resolution the average bitrate of
the recordings are about twice the bitrate of a vob file from commercial
DVD, without any quality enhance. 2 ours of video is about 7 GB
(~17min/GB), so you'd need a 9GB DVD or 2 4.5GB DVD to write, that, for
financial reason (not only money, but for saving general resources), is
not very good to me.
Actually I do not understand such amount of data; the only idea I have
in mind is the possibility that it is due to a rough digitization "on
the fly" they do on FTA channels (the only one I can watch) without any
quality issue, even if it sounds strange they don not worry about
wasting bandwidth.

Bye

--
                                    Antonino Sergi

La strenua predilezione umana per l'irrilevante e' il peggior
      nemico della nostra specie!

The tireless human fondness for unremarkable things is the
      worst enemy of our species!

                                    Antonino Sergi