[vdr] Re: Disk suggestions?

Am Son, 2002-07-21 um 14.05 schrieb Christian Berger:
> Am Sonntag, 21. Juli 2002 12:47 schrieben Sie:
> > > If you've problems with enough controllers put 160GB Maxtors in your
> > > VDR-Box.
> >
> > You may run into additional trouble using IDE-Drives >128MB in your
> > system. As far as I know, especially older BIOS/Mainboard combinations
> > do not support those disks, and an updated BIOS may not avaiable. (at
> > least for my Asus CUA bought only 1,5 years ago, there is no such BIOS
> > available).
> >
> > Furhter, it seems to be neccessary to patch the kernel to supprt those
> > large disks (I remember reading about this in previous postings)
> >
> > So,  maybe the 120GB Maxtor is the (easier) way to go.
> >

> > just my 0,02 EUR
> > Christian
>
> Well I guess recent Kernels will support it. But be sure to have a small
> "Bootdisk" to load the kernel since Lilo might not support such large
> disks. I've flawlessly worked with a 40Gb harddisk on a Pentium 90 which
> only supported 8Gb by BIOS. I didn't tell the BIOS about the large
> harddisk, but only about the small one.
> So the system booted fomr the 6Gb disk, but stored most of the data on the
> 40Gb one, that should also workd for larger harddisks.,

I'm running one 160 GB Maxtor in my Server with RedHat7.3. My BIOS
doesn't support drives larger 128 GB, but who cares? (except
Windoze-dummies). RedHat has patched the kernel coming along with 7.3
and kernels up from 2.4.19-pre4 (didn't test earlier ones) support
48-bit adresses.

If you have your own little '/boot' partition, it's no problem!

Rene

Home | Main Index | Thread Index