[vdr] Re: DXR3 support patch for vdr-1.1.5

On Tuesday 23 July 2002 06:18, Malcolm Caldwell wrote:
> Andreas,
>
> From looking at the code, it would seem that this path does playback
> only?  That is, the OSD is not supported.

Right, i played a bit with SPU's, it didn't work and i didn't have the time to
dig deeper into it. As i said, the patch is basicly a demonstration and
starting point on how a video/audio stream can played over the dxr3. There is
lots of room for improvement.

> BTW: I would say that mess is too strong a word.  Certainly vdr was not
> designed for this type of thing - that does not necessarily mean the
> code is a mess if you try to use it for something else.

Sure, what i see as a "mess" is the mix of code that is generic to a single
cDevice object, code that works on all existing cDevice objects and hardware
device specific code in cDevice. That has nothing todo with the thing not
working for me, it is just that the code is and always has been badly
modularized.

[...]

> So the class cDevice is not not designed for what you want to do.  That
> does not mean it is bad, or a mess.

Sure, but see above.

> From my reading it would seem that this is only a first step toward an
> abstract device class that can accommodate different types of
> input/output devices.

It is, and i even mailed about that with Klaus. I was quite surprised that the
word "mess" caused such a fuss.

Andreas

--
Andreas Schultz <aschultz@cs.uni-magdeburg.de>
Student of computer science

"In accordance with plans for Linux OS world domination
      infiltration of governments is vital (:-))."

Home | Main Index | Thread Index