[vdr] Re: DXR3 support patch for vdr-1.1.5

Andreas Schultz wrote:

> On Tuesday 23 July 2002 06:18, Malcolm Caldwell wrote:
> > BTW: I would say that mess is too strong a word.  Certainly vdr was not
> > designed for this type of thing - that does not necessarily mean the
> > code is a mess if you try to use it for something else.
>
> Sure, what i see as a "mess" is the mix of code that is generic to a single
> cDevice object, code that works on all existing cDevice objects and hardware
> device specific code in cDevice. That has nothing todo with the thing not
> working for me, it is just that the code is and always has been badly
> modularized.

That's exactly what I am currently working on: better modularizing the code.

I've started with the players/receivers and just haven't done the
devices yet. What upset me about your initial posting was the way
you brought this up. To me it sounded like "Well, look what Klaus did:
it's still unusable!". Making devices plugin-aware simply wasn't what
I intended to do in this step. Until recently the main problem was with
players, so I decided to make _those_ plugin aware first. You yourself have
been focused on the DVD player, so I thought making player plugins first
would support your work.

I can't help it, but it's my way of doing things to do one step after the
other, and to make one thing work before starting a new one. As you may have
noticed, version 1.1.5 still lacks Dolby Digital support. This will also be
made plugin aware, and I want to incorporate support for live Dolby Digital
audio as well. Once these steps are completed, I will release this as version
1.2.0 - which is then basicly the status of version 1.0.0, with several
features made "plugin aware".

After that I will make the devices plugin aware. This isn't something you just
throw in with a few lines of code. You have to allow devices that can record but
not replay (and vice versa), and you have to completely separate the OSD from
the actual device, because a particular device might not be able to display
an OSD, or may need a completely different implementation. Part of this has
already been prepared in the current developer version.

BTW: I've tested your latest DVD player plugin with "X-Men" and "Raumpatrouille".
In one case I had a complete program crash, and on several occasions the menu
didn't work as expected. Are you interested in fixing this? I can lend these
DVDs to you if it helps.

Oh, one more thing: I'd really appreciate if the DVD player would react on the
default "up/down/left/right" keys when in menu mode. I never really understood
why you had to use the number keys for this...

Klaus