[vdr] Re: DXR3 support patch for vdr-1.1.5

> Anyway, although I haven't done too much DVD playing yet, so far I never
> needed the play/pause/forward/back function of these keys. I rather mainly
> navigated through the menus, and there I found it very complicated to use
> the number keys. Wouldn't it have been better to use the up/down/left/right
> keys for navigating, and assign the play/pause/forward/back functions to the
> number keys? I know, using the number keys is only a temporary workaround
> until VDR knows more key definitions. But the first thing a user is confronted
> with when playing a DVD is typically the DVD menu - and IMHO one would expect
> the usual keys to navigate through this.
>
> Just a thought: couldn't the DVD player detect the fact that it has the OSD open
> in order to switch between menu navigating mode and play mode?
>
> Klaus

The up/down/left/right key are no real problem. But you need an additional MENU
key (was it key 3 ???) and RETURN/BACK (???) ;-)

So in DVD menu the MENU key should not pop up the OSD but rather execute the
menu jump (in fact there are two defined menu jumps: ROOT and TITLE MENU).

So here the problem starts already in the VDR core structure.
May be you should consider a shift key to put dual functions on the keys.

Or like in MPLAYER keep the OSD deactivated until stopping the DVD and use the
assigned MENU / BACK keys...

regards	Peter

Home | Main Index | Thread Index