[vdr] Re: xvid+vdr

No, I don't think this is a stupid question at all :-)

Some time ago I have similar thoughts about sending RGB or YUV data to the
card instead of an MPEG stream, so I've done some investigation.

The full-featured DVB-s card use the TMS320AV7110 from Texas Instruments for
it's (analog) video output. This chip was designed to be the main controller
in a digital set top box with integrated ARM processor and a lot more stuff
additionally to the video out module.

After a (not too close) look into the datasheed, it seems to me that the
MPEG decoder and the video DA-converter parts are tighly connected by the
chip's hardware. There seems to be no easy way to route a RGB data stream
directly to the DA-converter - especially not with the current firmware
(which is 'closed source').

Maybe with the upcoming plugin interface we'll be able to use one of those
matrox G500 cards (I've heared about good linux support for this one) as an
output device for VDR. Of course, we had to do the MPEG deconding stuff in
software then...

Christian