[vdr] Re: new HDD for vdr

You could easily do it from the command line while you are logged in as
root (lines starting with "#" are only comments):

# try if it already exists in /etc/fstab
# assuming you have it at 1st IDE as slave
# if so, you should avoid next steps...
grep -q hdb /etc/fstab && echo "Disk seems to exist" || echo "Disk seems
to be unused"

# 1st: partitioning...
fdisk /dev/hdb
# pressing p should show you no partition. Then press n (for New), p (for
Primary)
# and two times <Return> to accept the defaults (Hope it was correct).
# finally press w (for Write)

# ..., then formatting (in reality: make filesystem) the disk
mke2fs /dev/hdb1

# move the original /video directory out of the way.
mv /video /oldvideo
sed 's/\/video/\/oldvideo/' < /etc/fstab > /tmp/fstab; cp /tmp/fstab
/etc/fstab

# finally add an entry to /etc/fstab and mount the partition
echo "/dev/hdb1	/video ext2	defaults 0 1" >> /etc/fstab
mount /video

# BTW, the linking of the original stuff still in the /oldvideo directory
may be done with:
cd /video
find /oldvideo | while read file; do
	# remove "/oldvideo/" from beginning
	newfile=`echo $file | cut -c11-`
	if [ -d $file ]; then
		mkdir $newfile
	else
		ln -s $file $newfile
	fi
done

Hope that helps.

Eckard

--
Eckard Brauer, Support Engineer, Intershop Communications GmbH,
smail: Intershop Tower, 07740 Jena, Germany

Home | Main Index | Thread Index