[vdr] vdr2divx status / was: Re: mplayer and mpeg4 ?!

Ahhh sorry, i haven't seen your post earlier :-(
Seems like i'm flooded with mails :-)

> > Be careful, mplayer completely refuses to play anything with your
> > commandline if it hasn't a correct resolution for the DVBs card !!!
>
> Really ? So then it seems, I only have clips with valid resolutions ?
> Can't believe that... What are the "valid" sizes ?
So, you MUST HAVE 576 lines or 480 lines - these are the valid Y Resolutions
for PAL and NTSC !
In theory EVERY X Resolution from 720 (768 ???) down to 1 (???) is accepted -
but at least for my DVBs 2.1 card most of them do not produce full screen TV
Output - i mean they are not scaled to full width !
So basically i figured out 720, 704, 688, 528, 480 and 352 to work !
Also see http://ma.hoff.bei.t-online.de/patches/mplayer/dvbscale_patch.diff
!!!

> > So those rescaling paramters i had in my commandline are essential !
>
> The only vid I wasn't able to play up to now was a .WMV (which isn't
> worth playing at all I discovered in the meantime ;) )
Strange !

Could you please check your resolutions and compare to the above ?
Maybe mplayer has changed a lot and i'm talking complete nonsense !??

> BTW: What about your new version of 2divx ? Not that I'd need one, but
>      I'm just curious :)

Latest is still 1.5.6beta2 (as announced:
http://ma.hoff.bei.t-online.de/2divx_wip/dist156beta2.tar.gz) - no changes
done (neither internal) - at the moment i suffer from having used XVID Alpha
interlaced MPEG4 for productive creation of several movie CDs recorded from
TV - and now it turned out to be buggy - and the correction of this "bug"
ain't backward compatible :-( So i have to re-encode all my stuff or throw it
away :-)
That's how i spend my time (beside going to work and stuff ;-)

So no news at the moment !

However i think of adding support for one of those new media formats, instead
of avi ! The we would get rid of avi with NO aspect ratio and stuff !
But it seems it's still a little too early !?
MCF sound nice - but way too early it seems ! No support in mplayer/mencoder
:-(
OGM is the best candidate at the moment, but i'm not sure if linux tools are
able to create one from avi - AFAIK no mp3 audio at the moment :-(
MP4 - i havent looked into this one yet !

Especially MCF and OGM are interesting because of the upcoming MCF-CD or XCD
(forked) - then we would be able to store more video data on one CD-R media -
just like (S)VCD does it ! (Just think of CD-R99 media storing nearly 1GB
video data - hehe ;-)

But i'm afraid it's way too early for all this to be used on everyday
(productive) use ... (i don't want to end up again - as i did with the xvid
interlacing bug :-/ )

However i'm open for any suggestion ...

Martin

Home | Main Index | Thread Index