[vdr] Re: lock-vdr

Helmut Auer wrote:

> > Well, to be more precise, the reboot happened because removing the files took longer
> > than the watchdog timeout of 10 seconds. I suggest you set the timeout to some 30-60
> > sevonds. The "attempt to unlock..." message is not directly related to the reboot
> > problem, but nevertheless I'll remove it.
> >
> After that I set my watchdog timeout higher, but I have "lived" with a timeout
> of 10 seconds for about two months without anyproblem.
> What is linux doing for about 10 seconds when 4 files are deleted ???? I have an
> ext3 filesystem.

This is one of the reasons why I use XFS.

Especially on full disks, ext2, Reiser and ext3 seem to be
taking a looong time for trivial things.
Also, I had incidents with both Reiser and ext3 where files
were destroyed after a reset.

In my personal experience, XFS has none of these problems.
This may be pure coincidence, but it is based on over 7 years
of experience with XFS under SGI IRIX and over a year of
experience with XFS under Linux.

Carsten.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index