[vdr] Re: Games & etc on DVB

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 02:57:20PM +0300, Sat Rookie wrote:
> Isn't it easier to implement videocard driver for DVB than
> trying to modify software that initially works with videocard?
> Then we will get everything that was done for Linux on our SetTopBoxes,
> like webbrowser, newsreader, MAME and so on...
At first about implementing a xserver, but that's quite complex and I
wanted quick results and see, wether it's possible (delay problems and so
on).
A Framebuffer-device isn't possible according to some dvb-developers (not
enough bandwith to the dvb-card), so you have to create an mpeg-stream
(and you'll need enough cpu power).
A xserver would be possible, but I think it's too complex. At the moment
I'm looking into porting SDL or the allegro-library to run with a
dvb-card. Both libraries are widely used und hopefully less complex than
a complete xserver (and they handle sound too).
At the moment I'm doing a code-cleanup of the snes9x sources and have my
delay problems again (2s till the graphics on the tvset shows a
reaction...) and I just removed not used code... don't know why 8-(

Perhaps some other people are interested in this kind of developement too
and we could work together.

Bye,
Matthias
--