[vdr] Re: Games & etc on DVB

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Matthias Mueller wrote:

> At first about implementing a xserver, but that's quite complex and I
> wanted quick results and see, wether it's possible (delay problems and so
> on).
> A Framebuffer-device isn't possible according to some dvb-developers (not
> enough bandwith to the dvb-card), so you have to create an mpeg-stream
> (and you'll need enough cpu power).
> A xserver would be possible, but I think it's too complex. At the moment
> I'm looking into porting SDL or the allegro-library to run with a
> dvb-card. Both libraries are widely used und hopefully less complex than
> a complete xserver (and they handle sound too).
> At the moment I'm doing a code-cleanup of the snes9x sources and have my
> delay problems again (2s till the graphics on the tvset shows a
> reaction...) and I just removed not used code... don't know why 8-(
>
> Perhaps some other people are interested in this kind of developement too
> and we could work together.

Couldn't that be achieved by using xserver with virtual framebuffer ie. a
file as framebuffer. Then we only need to read that fb and encode it to
mpeg for outputting through DVB... right?

That's what a friend of mine has thought.. He hasn't tried it yet though..

 Marko Myllymaa

Home | Main Index | Thread Index